Gary has addressed entitlement, access and other land use issues before local government entities throughout Idaho. His land use experience includes commercial, residential, industrial and infrastructure projects, including some of the largest projects in the state. Gary has also handled many land use litigation matters, and is experienced in condemnation issues and inverse condemnation litigation. Gary is a lead author of the Idaho Land Use Handbook, which is a land use reference book widely used around the state.
Gary has also practiced environmental law throughout his career. His practice focuses on environmental compliance, permitting, transactions and complex problem resolution. His practice includes significant experience in institutional environmental compliance, water quality, air quality and hazardous waste permitting, environmental issues in property and business transactions, administrative law, rulemaking, administrative enforcement actions and Superfund, underground storage tank and other environmental litigation. Gary also has worked on Endangered Species Act listing issues. Prior to joining Givens Pursley, Gary worked for a major regional firm in Boise and for a large firm in southern California.
Gary is active in local and state-wide community affairs. Among other things, he is the Past President of Idaho Smart Growth and serves on the Advisory Committee of the Idaho Chapter of the Urban Land Institute. He is also the co-founder and immediate past president of the South Boise Village neighborhood association.
- Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business (Natural Resources/Environment) Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business (Zoning/Land Use)
- Best Lawyers in America (Land Use & Zoning Law)
- Boise Best Lawyers Land Use & Zoning Lawyer of the Year (2012)
- Martindale-Hubbell - highest ranking (AV) in Zoning, Planning and Land Use, Eminent Domain, Environmental, Litigation and Real Estate
- Mountain States Super Lawyers (Environmental)
- Who's Who Legal - Environmental 2014 Idaho
- 2012 Idaho State Bar Pro Bono Award
- Lead Author, Idaho Land Use Handbook
- J.D., Stanford Law School (Editor, Stanford Environmental Law Journal), 1987
- B.A., Dartmouth College (Phi Beta Kappa, McLain-Bowler Scholar, Co-Captain Varsity Tennis), 1983 - magna cum laude