Bob advises and represents employers on a broad range of employment matters. He counsels employers regarding federal and state employment laws and cultivates strategies to maintain compliance by developing employment policies and practices, implementing employer training, and developing employment agreements including executive compensation, non-compete, non-solicit, and nondisclosure agreements.
Bob assists employers in managing risk by proactively providing guidance on specific employment issues including discrimination and harassment (based on sex, race, religion, national origin, disability, and age), wage and hour practices, employee leave, employee drug and alcohol use and testing, employment separation and termination, reductions-in-force, and unfair or restricted competition.
Bob also represents employers in employment disputes (i.e. litigation) before the Idaho Human Rights Commission, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and state and federal courts. He has defended employers on issues involving wage and hour claims, overtime pay, employee benefits, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, whistleblowing, wrongful termination, breach of employment contracts, and employee leave. Bob also prosecutes and defends actions involving non-competition, non-solicitation, and nondisclosure agreements and trade secrets.
In his practice, Bob partners with business owners, executives, and human resource personnel to manage the impact of employment law compliance and employment disputes on business operations and objectives.
In addition to client representation, Bob is also an adjunct professor of employment law and a frequent speaker on employment law topics at sponsored events.
- Best Lawyers in America (Employment Law - Management and Litigation - Labor and Employment)
- Lawyer of the Year 2014 (Litigation – Labor and Employment (Boise))
- Lawyer of the Year 2020 (Litigation – Labor and Employment (Boise))
Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers in Business (Labor and Employment Law)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers (Labor and Employment Law)
- J.D., University of Idaho College of Law
Idaho Law Review: Research Editor, Executive Board Member
- B.S., Applied Mathematics, University of Idaho
- Idaho State Court
- United States District Court for the District of Idaho
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Memberships & Affiliations
- Idaho State Bar Association (Litigation and Employment Law Sections)
- American Inns of Court No. 130: Past President; Member
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Private practice in Boise, Idaho advising and representing employers since 1993
- Concordia Law School, Employment Law (2014-2018)
- Honorable B. Lynn Winmill, Idaho State District Court
Bob has participated as counsel or co-counsel in numerous court and jury trials in state and federal courts. Issues tried include intentional interference with economic advantage, economic duress in contract, violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, breach of employment contract, defamation, national origin discrimination, medical malpractice, construction contractor liability, products liability, employee benefit management, negligence, enforcement of non-compete agreements in the real estate, publishing, and medical products industry, the constitutionality of a city ordinance, and breach of contract and partnership liability.
Bob frequently prepares and presents materials to attorneys, corporate management, and human resource professionals at sponsored seminars. Topics have included: Family Medical Leave Act; Americans with Disabilities Act; Employee Handbooks; Monitoring Employee Use of Technology; Pre-employment Inquiries; Reference Checking; Sexual Harassment; Discrimination; Drug and Alcohol Testing; Employment Law Overview and Update; Employee Hiring, Discipline, and Discharge; Non-compete Agreements; Preventing Wrongful Termination Lawsuits; Workplace Violence; Workplace Privacy; Wage and Hour Update; Ethical Considerations in Employment; and I-9 Compliance.