Mike’s practice focuses on health law, real estate finance, and general real estate and contracting. Mike began practicing law as an associate at Givens Pursley and then worked for five years at a large Los Angeles law firm on a variety of national and international real estate financing transactions. Just prior to rejoining Givens Pursley, Mike worked for over ten years as an in-house counsel for a large hospital system and developed expertise in many areas of health law, including fraud and abuse laws, physician contracting, telemedicine, provider-based billing, laboratory and pharmacy services, and healthcare-related real estate transactions.
Before earning a law degree from Stanford Law School, Mike worked as a negotiation consultant in Europe for 8 years. In addition to training thousands of managers in negotiation, he has also lectured at a number of colleges and universities. He is a Rhodes Scholar and has two degrees from Oxford University.
Mike is a native Idahoan, growing up on a potato farm in Southern Idaho, and loves alpine skiing, landscape photography, and close-up magic.
- J.D. Stanford Law School 2003
- Research assistant for the problem-solving seminar and recipient of a fellowship in negotiation and conflict resolution
- M.Sc. University of Oxford, Management (Industrial Relations), 1991
- B.A. University of Oxford, English Language and Literature, 1989
- B.A. The College of Idaho, Gipson Scholar (summa cum laude), 1987
- California (inactive)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Rhodes Scholar (1987)
- Honorary Doctorate, The College of Idaho (1999)
- Member of the Board of Trustees of The College of Idaho (2008-2012)
- Leadership Boise (2010-2012), Healthcare Session Chair
- Idaho State Bar Health Law Section (President 2015-2017, Vice-President 2013-2015, Secretary/Treasurer 2011-2013)