Randall A. Peterman specializes in bankruptcy, loan workouts, commercial litigation, lender liability defense, and agricultural lending. Mr. Peterman has extensive experience in representing commercial lenders and leasing companies, banks, and other financial institutions in bankruptcy and complex credit transactions. In his commercial litigation practice, he has represented lenders in defense of numerous lender liability claims and in dealing with various Uniform Commercial Code and real estate litigation. His agricultural lending practice is grounded in representation of lenders who deal with loan advance and lien priority issues in the agricultural area. Mr. Peterman is also outside general counsel for Northwest Nazarene University.
Mr. Peterman is one of four attorneys in Idaho who is a fellow in the coveted American College of Bankruptcy. He is also a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute®. Among other accolades, Mr. Peterman has been named the top bankruptcy and creditors rights lawyer in Idaho in 2012 and 2015 by Best Lawyers®. He is a frequent speaker on banking and bankruptcy issues at legal seminars.
Mr. Peterman graduated summa cum laude from Northwest Nazarene University in 1973, and graduated from the University of Washington Law School in 1976, where he was editor of the Washington Law Review and a member of the Order of the Coif. He commenced his practice by acting as a law clerk in 1977 for the Honorable Gerald F. Schroeder, who is now a retired Idaho Supreme Court justice. Mr. Peterman practiced in Boise for thirty-eight years before joining Givens Pursley.
He is an active member of the Idaho State Bar Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section and served as the president of that section in 1989-1990. He is also active in the Corporate and Business Section of the Idaho State Bar and acted as the president of that section in 2000-2001.Mr.Peterman has been selected among the Best Lawyers in America for over two decades, has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine, and has been selected by Chambers USA as one of America's leading lawyers for business. Mr. Peterman is also a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5.0 rated attorney.
Mr. Peterman is an adjunct professor (teaching business ethics for the MBA program) at Northwest Nazarene University in Nampa, Idaho. In 2008, he was honored as the Alumni of the Year Professional Achievement by his alma mater, Northwest Nazarene University.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Reviewed Rating
- Best Lawyers®- Lawyer of the Year (20 years)
- Best Lawyers®- Idaho Lawyer of the Year- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2012, 2015 and 2019)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers
- Chambers USA - Bankruptcy/Restructuring First Tier
- J.D., University of Washington School of Law, Seattle, Washington Order of the Coif 1976
- B.A., Northwest Nazarene College, Nampa, Idaho summa cum laude 1973
- Idaho, 1977
- U.S. District Court of Idaho,1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit. 1984
Memberships & Affiliations
- American College of Bankruptcy,1991 - Present (Fellow)
- Idaho State Bar, Corporate Section,1983 - Present (former President)
- Idaho State Bar, Bankruptcy Section,1983 - Present (former President)
- American Bankruptcy Institute (Member)